Brown’s Chapel Elementary
Distance Learning Plan
- Grades K-3rd have designated DL teachers in each grade level. All teachers instruct DL and TL in 4th and 5th grade.
- Live instruction will take place daily in all content areas for K-3rd. ELA and Math live instruction will take place daily in 4th and 5th grade.
- DL Students will participate in live instruction along with their TL peers through scheduled Zoom sessions in 4th and 5th grade.
- Science and Social Studies for 4th and 5th grade will be asynchronous and uploaded into Kiddom (videos, notes, independent reading, etc.).
- Students will follow the daily schedule to engage with their teacher and participate for the duration of the lesson/discussion.
- Students will complete assignments and submit on the due date given by teachers.
- Related Arts Teachers will create videos, assignments, etc. that will be uploaded into the Kiddom platform.
- Interventionists will conduct live Zooms and/or uploaded lessons. This will be determined and arranged based on the need of each student.
- DL students’ success is grounded in active participation daily.
- Student cameras are required to be active during live instruction.
- Students should be ready to learn (on time, materials ready, dressed appropriately, and in an appropriate work space, free from distractions and interruptions).
- Students will be able to interact with peers and teachers, ask questions, seek clarification, and participate in small group/discussion during live lessons.
- Parents will monitor the DL process to ensure students are engaging with, participating in and completing assignments. Parents will seek help through the teacher or school if they need support with technology or academics.
- Grades for assignments, projects, quizzes and assessments are cumulative and make up the 9-week grades earned on the report card.
Assignments and Attendance:
- Daily attendance and completion of assignments builds a strong work ethic and promotes school success.
- Kiddom is the platform that will be used to submit assignments. In the event of technical difficulties, students may submit his/her assignments by email to their teacher on the due date given.
- Assignments are due daily or on the due date given and grades will reflect any unsubmitted work.
- Students active participation in daily lessons is the pathway to success. Failure to attend daily live lessons and remain present (with camera on) will result in an absence. Please refer to the RCS policies regarding excused/unexcused absences when submitting parent/doctor notes.
- If a student is experiencing technical difficulty gaining attendance into a live lesson, they should email the teacher immediately to report the problem. Teachers will be documenting attendance through the live instruction daily.
- Attendance and assignments are separate entities. Our policies for DL students are consistent with those for in-person learners.
- Parents and Teachers working together to support the DL student is crucial to their successful experience in learning from home.
- Teachers will communicate schedules, assignments, progress and offer feedback through Kiddom, Skyward, Newsletters, Class Dojo and email.
- Students and parents may reach out to teachers through email or Class Dojo. A return message will follow within 24 hours. Conferencing with a teacher should be scheduled and not take place during the live lesson block.
- Kindergarten through 2nd Grade will communicate missing assignments through Class DoJo.
- Grades and missing assignments for 3rd, 4th and 5th grades will be communicated through Skyward. Parents should check that platform frequently to monitor progress.
- DL students will receive orientation on Tuesday, October 13th.